[protege-dev] How does Drools engine make inference of SWRL rules?

cemre cemre.yilmaz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 06:24:40 PST 2017

As I understand from my readings SWRL rules are not dependent to each other.
They are independent rules and they can only be applied to named individuals
not to inferred individuals.

I created an ontology with SWRL rules dependent to each other. In other
words, I use the consequence of a rule in an antecedent of another rule and
it did inference correctly. So I confused about this point, I want to
understand background implementation of OWL2RL based  reasoner and Drools
engine implemetation of Protege SWRLTab.

 Drools apply forward or backward chaning to make inference?   In web site
of Drools engine it says it can apply both forward and backward chaining.
May be you can suggest a paper for further reading to understand reasoning
algorithm of Drools engine in SWRLTab. In Protege website about DroolsEngine
it only says how can we use the SWRLTab and Drools engine no further
knowledge about the algorithm (May be I could not find).

https://github.com/protegeproject/swrlapi-drools-engine/wiki/SWRLDroolsTab

https://github.com/protegeproject/swrlapi/wiki/OWL2RLTab

Rules are given below,

datatoProcessTC(?x, ?p), sfIntersects(?x, ?a), processToResultsTC(?p, ?r),
Building(?x), Road(?a) -> hasDataQualityResult(?x, ?r)

 hasDataQualityResult(?x, ?r), featureInfo(?x, ?k) ->
featureInfoInResult(?r, ?k)