[protege-dev] Adding a Class Expression similar to the Class Expression Editor

Matthew Horridge matthew.horridge at stanford.edu
Fri Feb 1 14:24:43 PST 2019

Hi Kenny,

Take a look at the example here:

https://github.com/owlcs/owlapi/blob/version5/contract/src/test/java/org/semanticweb/owlapi/examples/DLQueryExample.java

It may contain some code (for parsing and input expression) that may be what you’re looking for.

Cheers,

Matthew

On Feb 1, 2019, at 10:25, Kenny Cason <Kenneth.Cason at radiancetech.com<mailto:Kenneth.Cason at radiancetech.com>> wrote:

I want to add the following Class Expression to a known class:

(not(hasDog some Dog)) or (hasCat value i_Fluffy)

I can build each individual element into OWLClassExpression objects, then create axioms to contain them, then add them to my ontology…
…but the Protégé “Class expression editor” allows me to simply enter the above text, press the Ok button, and all required axioms, etc, are created by Protégé.

Is there a Protégé method (or combination of methods) I can call with the above text and have it create all the required axioms and add it to my ontology?
I don’t need a GUI, just a method call in the background of a plugin I’m witting. This would be SO much simpler than trying to create each axiom individually.
I tried dissecting the Class Expression Editor to figure out how it does this but kept going around in circles in the code.

Thanks,

-Kenny Cason
Radiance Technologies
Cyber Solutions Group