[protege-discussion] datagenie instances

Jennifer Vendetti vendetti at stanford.edu
Sat Nov 4 08:37:50 PST 2006

Ward,

ward wrote:
> I'm trying to import a MySQL-database into Protégé using a JDBC-driver. The connection is no problem : I see my tables, fields and values under the Datagenie-tab.
>
> I even can see the tables under the classes-tab and the fields under the slots-tab, but my values don't appear as instances....
>
> What did I do wrong ?

I don't know.  I tested the DataGenie tab here and it created
instances.  Are there any errors that are output to the Protege console
window?  Also, what version of DataGenie are you using?  Version 1.1,
which is distributed with Protege, or version 2.0.1 from our Wiki
(http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DataGenie)?
> What is anyway the best way to import a relational database (MS Access, MySQL, Oracle,... ?)with primary keys into Protégé ?

According to the DataGenie documentation
(http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DataGenie#nid7V2), you need to
use version 2.0.1 if you want it to process foreign keys.  If DataGenie
doesn't import your data in a format that is acceptable to you, you
could instead use the Protege API to programmatically import your data.
The API is documented on our Web site:

http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/dev.html#api

Jennifer