[protege-discussion] Question

Patricio Gorin pgorin at deremate-inc.com
Tue Nov 14 11:19:43 PST 2006

Hi, my name is Patricio. I'm a software developer for a e-commerce
organization. We are thinking to using ontologies to model our
bussiness.
Basically, we are, as any e-commerce solution, a market online. We have
a tree of categories that represents the types of products that users
can sell.
On the other hand, we have to present this tree of categories as
navegation channels, where potencials buyers navigate through this
categories and list de products that are published there.

Now we use this navegation channels as the concepts clasification. This
model has the problem that Marketing needs to modify the channels to
promote somes categories, creating categories, modifiyng attributes or
deleting categories, just for commercial goals.

We are thinking to separate the clasification or concepts of products
that a user can sell. We will model this with an ontology. Each concept
will have specific attributes. Example: the Digital Camera concept will
have: provider, megapixels, memory, etc.
But, we need to model, on the other hand, our navigation channels. We
think that a way to do this, is creating a data structure (graph), where
each node of the graph reference to a concept in the ontology (one
concept or more). Then, each node is a query definition on concepts from
the ontology, and the result of this channels is that a user can
navigate this structure, and each node visited, searchs the products
publicated in the concepts that the node reference.

We model the ontology with Protege 3.1. Now we are looking for the best
way to model the navigation channels that have to know the ontology to
reference the concepts.
Example:

Ontology of Concepts:
Photography
    - Accesories
            - Bags
            - Flashes
            - Bateries
            - Memories
    - Cameras
            - Digital Cameras
            - Reflex Cameras
    - Services
            - Edition
            - Photograph

Navigation Channels:
Photography
    - Digital Cameras --> retrieve all products of concept "Digital
Cameras"
            - HP --> retrieve all products of concept "Digital Cameras"
and "Provider = HP"
                - Less than 5 Megapixel --> retrieve all products of
concept "Digital Cameras" and "Provider = HP" and "Megapixels < 5"
                - More than 5 Megapixel --> retrieve all products of
concept "Digital Cameras" and "Provider = HP" and "Megapixels > 5"
            - Nikon --> retrieve all products of concept "Digital
Cameras" and "Provider = Nikon"
            - Sony --> retrieve all products of concept "Digital
Cameras" and "Provider = Sony"

Thanks a lot.
I hope you can help me,
Patricio.