[protege-discussion] Protégé and non-ascii characters

Margherita Sini margherita.sini at fao.org
Mon Nov 20 09:21:16 PST 2006

Dear all,

I have the same problem as mentioned by some of you in the list. I am generating
an OWL file from already existing data from excel and word files.

The problem is that non-ascii characters cannot be read with protege also if I
put them into the text of an annotation and also using the <![CDATA[  ]]>  tag...

In particular these are the one I found that give problem:

- non-ascii double quotes: “sum of polyglutamic forms of folates”
- non-ascii single quotes: `stigmasterol`
- special space character: dry gluten
- dash, question mark, etc...

example:
<owl:Class rdf:ID="FOLB"><Scope_note><![CDATA[better term could be “sum of
polyglutamic forms of folates”. Single polyglutamic forms should not be
considered in data tables]]></Scope_note></owl:Class>

<owl:Class rdf:ID="STID7"><Scope_note><![CDATA[Values reported as `stigmasterol`
in food tables are usually a measure of the delta 7 form
only]]></Scope_note></owl:Class>

<owl:Class rdf:ID="STID7"><Description><![CDATA[dry
gluten]]></Description></owl:Class>

Is there a list of them in order not to loose time searching the error or a way
to overcome the problem?

I am using protege with the native jre...

Thanks
Margherita