[protege-discussion] protege server without X11

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Wed Nov 22 16:24:50 PST 2006

On Nov 22, 2006, at 12:37 PM, <tomasz.pawlowski at thomson.com>
<tomasz.pawlowski at thomson.com> wrote:

> Protege 3.2.
> Is it possible to run Protege server on Linux without X11?
> I'm able to run the server on the machine which doesn't have Xwin
> installed. I connect to this machine using X-windows server (XWin32
> from
> StarNet), and than start Protege. When I close my X connection,
> Protege
> server dies (of course I run it in the background, tried nohup too).
> What for X is needed, when running Protege as a server?

I think that the problem is that when the connection closes, you
log out and all processes started with your log in are terminated.

Take a look at the screen utility.  It's what I use when I want
to run servers on Linux machines without staying connected or
running them as boot demons.

Try

   man screen

to get basic information.