[protege-discussion] Tutorials about how to build plugins.

Hans.Schevers at csiro.au Hans.Schevers at csiro.au
Wed Nov 22 20:05:25 PST 2006

Hi Maximo,

We have been playing around with geometry (2d and 3) and Protégé objects for a while for modelling buildings and urban development projects. We have large ISO-STEP IFC building models and large GIS datasets which we really would like to convert to protégé (frames) for further processing. Due to the size of these files/db, we use external referencing to the geometry from protégé by using an implicit shape model. (So the protégé ontology contains objects like polygon, polyline and Geometry). The actually geometry (coordinates (x,y,z values), lines, Boolean operations) are not stored in the ontology reducing the amount of objects in protégé dramatically.

Using so-called instruction classes (defined in protégé) we can instruct a GIS system to find spatial relations. So for example if we want to find the 'nearest' public park for each dwelling, we simply create an instance of a 'nearest' instruction class (in protégé), set the right properties and our implementation will search for the results and write the results back to protégé..
I guess this could be a bit cryptic so feel free to send me an email directly and I will send you some info on this.

Hans

Hans A.J. Schevers PhD, MSc
Postdoc research fellow
CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems

E-mail: Hans.Schevers at csiro.au
Tel:+61 (0)3 9252 6608
Mob:+61 (0)4 1777 6403
Fax:+61 (0)3 9252 6249
Mail: PO Box 56 , Highett Vic 3190 Australia
Location: 37 Graham Rd, Highett, 3190, Australia

Visit http://www.cse.csiro.au for news on World Leading Research & New Technologies
PLEASE NOTE:
To the extent permitted by law, CSIRO does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained or that the communication is free of errors, virus, interception or interference. The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential or privileged. Any unauthorised use or disclosure is prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it immediately and notify Hans Schevers on +61 3 9252 6608.
Thank you.