[protege-discussion] Multilingual ontologies

Olivier Dameron olivier.dameron at univ-rennes1.fr
Wed Nov 29 10:20:41 PST 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:10:29 +0100, "anonima anonima"
<correosoft3 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a question regarding the second option:
>
> Labels don´t take part in reasoning tasks, but couldn't we work with
> URIs and then select the appropiate language dependent value?

What do you mean by "work" ?
You can also look at:
http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HidingIdentifiersWithLabels

> I find defining different classes for each language a bit expensive.
> Although words change, concepts are sill the same (in most cases).

You are right. The first option is certainly not the way to go. In
addition to the explosion of the number of entities the more you add
languages, the fact that House, Casa and Maison refer to the same class
is obfuscated.

Olivier