[protege-discussion] Making Protege screenshots for documentation on Mac

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Wed Oct 4 12:35:39 PDT 2006

On Oct 4, 2006, at 12:13 PM, Dona Mommsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I apologize because the question is not really Protege specific.
> However, I'm working on the documentation for my Protege project, but
> I'm unable to produce any decent screenshots. The screenshots will be
> used in a PDF, so they ought to be readable on screen with Acrobat and
> in a printed document.
> How did you do it for the Protege documentation? Do you have any
> recommendations about file format and resolution? I'm using Protege on
> Mac  10.3.9.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I found that just using the built-in screen shot capability of the
Mac produces acceptable results.  Resolution for printing will always
be an issue, since the pixels just aren't there, but the built-in
stuff always worked for me.

I find that Command-Shift-4 and dragging the box around the part of
the Protege interface you want to capture does a good job.  I think
that in 10.3 the format for screenshots is already PDF, so you only
need a way to include PDF screenshots in your document.

Unfortunately, if you happen to be using MS Word to write your
documentation, then you are a bit out of luck, since Word doesn't
support the import of PDF files.  You will have to convert them to
a format that Word does support such as TIFF or PNG or GIF.