[protege-discussion] How I solved a web access problem with Protege 3.2 beta installation

Martin, Christopher (LOD) Christopher.Martin at dsto.defence.gov.au
Sun Oct 8 18:48:16 PDT 2006

There is a major problem with how Protege 3.2 beta is installed and
launched. If the user is behind an authenticated web proxy server, then
Protege as installed out-of-the-box cannot fetch any file from an
external URL. This is a problem for users in organisations that monitor
web access by staff.

I offer the following in order to help others solve this problem. The
Protege installer needs to give the user an opportunity to specify any
web proxy server that must be used for fetching external URLs. With that
information, a line similar to the following then needs to be written
into the installed <Protege.lax> file:

lax.nl.java.option.additional=-Dhttp.proxyHost=webproxy.my.org
-Dhttp.proxyPort=8080 -Dhttp.nonProxyHosts="*.my.org|localhost"

(Note that the above must be a single line of text in <Protege.lax>,
even though it may have been broken into multiple lines for transport by
email.)
--
Christopher Martin
Land Operations Division