[protege-discussion] Ontology Maintenance

Simon White swhite at catalysoft.com
Mon Oct 9 11:21:46 PDT 2006

My advice is not to look at the ontology in isolation of its purpose. Given
any existing ontology, where are the manifestations of the concepts it
contains? Don't forget that an ontology is a specification, so in changing
the ontology, there will be an impact on any system that already committed
to that ontology. There will be tradeoff issues - you might design a more
elegant ontology but end up with systems that can no longer interoperate,
which is very costly.

Simon