[protege-discussion] Can I use my own database tables?

Fred nfredyao at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 09:00:49 PDT 2006

Jennifer Vendetti <vendetti <at> stanford.edu> writes:

> Fred,
>
> Fred wrote:
> > I'm new to Protege. We have quite a few Oracle database tables used by our
proprietary Taxonomy appliation
> and other applications. We are thinking of migrating to Protege. Besides the
Protege, our other
> applications will still need the access to these tables.  I have a few
questions:

> > 1.  Can we still use our own tables in Protege for our ontology contents?
> Protege uses its own database format, described here:
> http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/design/jdbc_backend.html.
>
> If you don't want to use the Protege database back-end, you can write
> "import" and "export" plug-ins that import & export your taxonomy to &
> from Protege into your own tables.

I know Protege use one single table to store all the information.  Does
the last column "long_slot_or_facet_value" work this way:
If the content of the slot is >= 256, it will be store in this column;
otherwise, it will be stored in the "slot_or_facet_value" column.

What is the maximun size for "long_slot_or_facet_value"?  If I have an
attribute with the size bigger than 4,096 bytes, what should I do?

> > 2. If we can, how can we access the content of these tables? Do we use
APIs, PlugIns, or somthing else?

> A common thing that people do is to use Protege as an editor and then
> periodically export snapshots of their ontologies/taxonomies into their
> own proprietary database tables.  The best way to do this is to write an
> export plug-in, documented here:
>
> http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/pdk/plugins/export_plugin.html
>
> There are examples of export plug-ins in our source code repository.
> You might look at the HTML export plug-in:
>
> http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/svn/standard-
extensions/trunk/src/edu/stanford/smi/protegex/export/html/

> Of course, you will also need to do an initial import of your data into
> Protege.  You can either write an import plug-in (a.k.a. "createproject"
> plug-in), documented here:
>
> http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/pdk/plugins/createproject_plugin.html
>
> Or, you could try using the DataGenie plug-in to import your data.  This
> is a plug-in that allows you to import data from arbitrary databases
> into Protege.  It may or may not produce a result that you would like to
> move forward with:
>
> http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DataGenie

If I only need to randomly access a few records from my proprietary
database tables, can I write some Java/JDBC code without using/making
import/export plug-ins?  If I can, do I put my code in a slot plug-in or in a
back-end plug-in?  Do I need to use Protege's Java APIs?