[protege-discussion] User privilege control

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Tue Oct 10 16:52:21 PDT 2006

Fred,

Fred Yao wrote:
> Does any one know how to handle user privilege under Protege?  My questions
> are:
>
> 1.  It there a way to check for username/password under Protege?  Or I have to
> write my own login page before starting Protege?

Protege currently uses the username/password authentication only in
multi user mode.
The users and passwords are saved in the metaproject. The multi-user
mode and metaproject are documented here:
http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MultiUserTutorial

If you want to use authentication in standalone mode, you will have to
write your own plugin for that. Probably you can reuse the code from the
multi-user mode. And as a first thought, you could probably implement it
as a Project plugin.

> 2.  Can I control the access for each tab, class and slot?  I mean the control
> to allow certian users to write or to read certain class/slot/tab?

No, this is not possible in current version of Protege. In Protege 3.3
betas, we will provide an enhanced way of defining rights in the
metaproject and a policy manager that will provide methods for inquiring
about the user rights. Then you can implement your own GUI behavior
based on the user rights (for example, preventing some users to edit
slots or classes).

In the current version, you can only set an entire project to be
read-only, if desired, but we do not provide a finer-grain access control.

Tania