[protege-discussion] Using multiple necessary and sufficient blocks

Leonardo Jacques da Silva leonardojacques at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 06:12:46 PDT 2006

Hi Alan,

You use necessary and sufficient conditions to define that any class that
satisfy the conditions present in this block belong to this class where the
block was defined.
In the case of necessary block any class can satisfy the conditions present
in this block, but not necessarily belong to the class.

Example: Pizza Ontology

The class CheesyPizza has a necessary and sufficient condition that specify
that any class that "hasTopping some CheeseTopping" ought to be considered a
cheesy pizza.

The class CheesyPizza has a necessary condition inherited from the class
Pizza that specify that any class  that "hasBase some PizzaBase" can be or
not a cheesy pizza.

I'm not sure if my explanation is clear to you.

On 10/15/06, Alan March <amarch at conceptum.com.ar> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Could someone please explain the reasons for using multiple necessary and
> sufficient blocks? And probably provide an example?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Alan

Leonardo Jacques