[protege-discussion] Using multiple necessary and sufficient blocks

Alan March amarch at conceptum.com.ar
Mon Oct 16 07:04:09 PDT 2006

Hi Leonardo, and thanks for your advice.

I think I understand the use of a single necessary and sufficient blocks but
fail to grasp the conditions under which *multiple* necessary and sufficient
blocks are required.

My hunch is that one case would be when a class may be fully defined by two
different combinations of properties. For example: suppose InterestingPizza
could by fully defined as in pizza.owl, but I decide that it could also be
defined as a "a pizza which is sold at least 30 times per day". Should I
place these conditions (say: Pizza as parent class and hasSalesPerWeek min
30) in a separate N&S block to do the trick? Or am I entirely failing to
understand the concept?

Many thanks. As a sideline, congratulations to the developers of Protégé.
It's undoubtedly the best ontology management tool available, much better
and powerful than commercial software out there.