[protege-discussion] Merge Ontology

Mudunuri, Raj Raj.Mudunuri at medizin.uni-leipzig.de
Fri Oct 27 08:04:35 PDT 2006

Hi,

Thanx Sravanan...

It seems there is a problem saving a merged ontology... I have an ontology A that consists of the concept Vehicle and its subconcept Car, and another ontology B that consists of the concept Car and its subconcept Tyre... Now I opened a new empty ontology C and wanted to merge these two ontologies (A and B) into C... after selecting the 3 ontologies (A and B to be mapped to C) and performing merge operation (by pressing the 'click here to begin' button), I get the exception in my console:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
	at edu.stanford.smi.protegex.prompt.MappingKnowledgeBase.performSaveMerges< Unknown Source>
	at edu.stanford.smi.protegex.prompt.PromptTab$1$1.run<Unknown Source>

I don't know how to resolve this error... after I 'Nike, Do it' for all the items of the 'To Do list' of concepts in Prompt tab, they appear in the Asserted Hierarchy of OWL Classes tab as expected;

Vehicle
  Car
    Tyre

However, I can't save the ontology even now! When I save the entire project (it saves without any error) and open it again, it opens a blank project with just the top class 'owl:Thing'... I don't know why this merged ontology that already appears in the Asserted Hierarchy of OWL Classes tab is not getting saved... There is no option in the Prompt tab either, to save the resulting ontolog...

What I'm doing as a work around now is, I'm classifying this ontology and then I get an Inferred Hierarchy in a separate panel that has this save button, from which I'm saving my new merged ontology...

Did anyone encounter this saving of merged ontologies problem with Prompt tab?

Thanx,
Raj