[protege-discussion] Error installing Protege on mandriva2007 Free Edition

Olivier Dameron olivier.dameron at univ-rennes1.fr
Tue Oct 31 03:10:24 PST 2006

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 19:59:48 +0200, Ciro Ascione
<ciro.ascione23 at libero.it> wrote:

> Hi!
> I've tried to install Protege on mandriva2007 Free Edition but I got
> these errors
>
> [root at BimboCiroII Download]# ./install_protege.bin
> Preparing to install...
> Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
> Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
> awk: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open
[...]

It looks like there is a problem with your libraries.
Also, so seem to be installing Protege as Root.
The two might be connected.
What is the value of $LD_LIBRARY_PATH for root ? Same question for a
normal user ?
Look at http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Admin/ld-lib-path.html
for the reasons this variable should not be used

Have you tried to install protege as a regular user (e.g. in your home
directory) ?

Side note: installing software as root and using it as a normal user is
definitely the way to go with *nis systems. However, with
Protege, this may cause some issues as the protege installation
directory should be writable
by the the users (It was like this a few years ago. Is it still the
case Tim and Tania?). Consequence: if you are the only user of protégé
on your machine, run the installer as yourself, not as root

olivier