[protege-discussion] Is there a limit to organize in alphabetic order?!

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 13 11:42:56 PDT 2006

Hi Paula,

For optimization reasons, there is a limit in Protege for the number of
instances of a class that are sorted in the InstancesTab (by default it
is 1000). In order to sort the instances of a class, you need to have
access to all instances of the class. If the number of instances is very
big (say over 10000), then you will get a bad performance because you
need to read all instances of a class in order to display them
(especially if you are using the database backend). Using this
optimization, if a class has more than 1000 instances, they will  not be
shown in sorted order in the InstancesTab.

You can change this limit, by setting the following line in
protege.properties file:

    ui.DirectInstancesList.sort_limit = 1100

(Instead of 1100, write the limit you want)

However, keep in mind, that the bigger you set the limit, the worse the
performance of displaying the instances will get.

Tania