[protege-discussion] news ontologies

Vytautas Taujanskas vytast at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 05:29:12 PDT 2006

Hello,

Emanuel Warhaftig <warhafti <at> bgu.ac.il> writes:

> Hi, everyone!
>
> I am a newcomer to Protégé and would appreciate if anyone could send me
> a good tutorial or primer about Protégé.
>
> Also, I am interested, in my research, in ontologies for news,
> especially as pertaining to the subjects (categories and sub-categories
> etc.) of news-items.

It is important what are your goals for news ontologies investigation. Anyway
you must get look at SIOC project page (http://rdfs.org/sioc/) - the ontology is
intended for online communities, but it has subset which can (must :) be used
for news or announcements ontologies.

Also you must look at syndication formats like RSS and Atom. Note that RSS 1.0
is also an ontology. Maybe link at Danny's Ayers blog is a good starting point
(http://dannyayers.com/topics/books/rss-book).

Open directory project (http://dmoz.org/) is used for assigning categories to
some items. It has hierarchy and othe types of relationships between categories
items.

Categorization of news items is also interesting to me, so feel free to ask
questions :)

Vytautas Taujanskas