[protege-discussion] protege on a mac

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Fri Sep 29 08:52:43 PDT 2006

At 6:58 AM -0700 9/29/06, Victor Manuel wrote:
> I am trying to run two instances of protege ...

Mac OS X has (basically) two kinds of programs that it
can run:  commands and applications (aka apps).  Commands
are run from the command line (e.g., in a Terminal window);
apps are run by clicking in the dock, etc.

In general, it is trivial to run multiple instances of
commands, but Mac OS X does not support this for apps.  It
sounds like the program you're running is an app.

There are a couple of possible options.  Unfortunately,
neither of them is exactly trivial.

  *  Clone the app

     It's possible to make a copy of the app and its
     preference file, then edit the copy so that OSX
     sees it as a different app.  I won't go into the
     details here, but I can if you want to try this.

  *  Find a command version of Protege

     If Protege has a version that can be started from
     the command line (and, say, runs under X11), you
     might be able to start up multiple instances of
     that.  However, you would need to build (and maybe
     port) the program first.

One possible difficulty with both of these approaches is
that an instance of Protege may have resources that it
assumes are reserved for its use.  This might be a file,
a database, etc.  If two instances try to use such a
resource at the same time, things will get confused.
You'll have to find out from the Protege folks, however,
whether this is actually a problem.

> I am new to mac, on windows I used to have the dos shell
> opened every time I was running protege, ...

Although I'm not sure how you would get to the same kinds
of information under Mac OS X, the Terminal application
can be started up and will give you access to the Mac OS X
(i.e., Unix) command line.  You can find it in Utilities,
under Applications.  Be careful, however; the command line
interface does not have the same protections as the GUI.

There is a Console app (also located in Utilities) that
some applications use to display information.  However, it
is rather noisy.  Finally, the Protege app may have some
sort of private log window that you can bring up.

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com