[protege-discussion] Clearing all Instances for an Ontology

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Mon Apr 2 13:03:22 PDT 2007

On Apr 2, 2007, at 12:12 PM, Schultz, Ron wrote:

> Thanks Thomas.
>
> Your assistance is greatly appreciated. I had never thought of
> separating the concepts and instances as separate projects. Cool idea.

For some things this works well.

The only real drawback is that you can't easily interleave the
editing of the classes and instances.  If you are creating instances
and need to add new classes or slots, you have to save the instance
project, open the class project, make changes and then go back in
order to add the instances.

So it isn't always the best course.

But when things are closer to a production system and you have a
fairly stable ontology with just the instances changing, it can
be a useful way to organize the projects.