[protege-discussion] collab protege - status and roadmap?

usenet at mnet-mail.de usenet at mnet-mail.de
Sun Dec 2 04:35:06 PST 2007

Hi,
as one of the early users I played with collab protege and I think it's a great
idea!

In an earlier thread this year I posted my experience. There are some problems
with collab protege which meanwhile forced me to not use it any more on a
production system.

One big issue for me was saving of the annotation ontology. On a multiuser,
database based protege installation, saving annotation ontology to a file
re-introduces all the problems coming with that.

I'm using automatic interfaces to get data into the ontology, which can lead
to a rather large annotation ontology. Saving the ontology often failed and we
ended up with a zero byte annotation ontology file loosing all the history.
Performance with collab protege is - as exptected - not good compared to plain
protege.

So what are the plans for the future?

For me, the biggest step would be removing the file based annotation ontology
and enable saving as a database project. I tried to convert annotation onto to
database backend, but it does not work.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Regards,
Jens.