[protege-discussion] Missing map instance warningsfrom GraphWidget

Jonathan Carter jonathan.carter at e-asolutions.com
Fri Dec 21 03:00:11 PST 2007

Thanks for this explanation, Tania.

I agree that there are some interesting multi-user challenges in there! All
makes sense now.
It's reassuring to know that you're aware of this and I'd agree with your
special approach for the node positioning on the graph widget.
The only approach that I can think of for widgets like the graph widget
would be to use some kind of check-out/check-in model where when I open a
graph widget for editing (via some kind of explicit "I'm editing this now"
button maybe?) this would then lock the graph for editing until I explicitly
commit my changes (again via a specific button) which would then save the
positions and sizes of the objects. I realise that this is a bit of a
departure for Protégé users - never mind how the software works in that
we're all used to not having to explicitly save our edits on forms (and I
really like the modeless dialog approach). Just some thoughts at this stage
- which I'd be happy to take off-line if there's any interest in exploring
them.

Thanks again for taking us through the issues - it really helps to know the
background to these sorts of things. For now, I think I will just live with
the warnings (the graphs do a default layout on my clients which is fine).

Regards

Jonathan

Enterprise Architecture Solutions Ltd