[protege-discussion] finding individuals in a Protege-Frames produced OWL file.

esharris esharris at mitre.org
Thu Dec 27 06:52:34 PST 2007

Given a Protégé-Frames produced OWL file, how do you find all the
individuals? I built a simple ontology in Protégé-Frames and exported the
ontology as an OWL file. I assumed the instances/individuals would be at the
same level in the XML tree. However, I have an instance/individual that has
a slot/property that contains another instance/individual.

  <Issue rdf:ID="newspapers_Instance_1">
    <has_several_pages rdf:resource="#newspapers_Instance_3"/>
    <has_several_pages>
      <Page rdf:ID="newspapers_Instance_2">
        <number rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#int"
        <sequence rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#int"
        >1</sequence>
      </Page>
    </has_several_pages>
    <edition rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string"
    <date rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string"
    >June 3, 1992</date>
  </Issue>

I’m surprised Protégé-Frames didn’t put an attribute in the 2nd
has_several_pages node and put newspapers_Instance_2 at the same level as
newpapers_Instance_1.

Ideally, do you have to walk the entire tree to look for individuals? Or
does the nesting only allowed one deep? And why nest?