[protege-discussion] finding individuals in a Protege-Frames produced OWL file.

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Mon Dec 31 17:15:54 PST 2007

On Dec 31, 2007, at 11:52 AM, esharris wrote:

> See below.
>

> Thomas Russ wrote:
>>

>> On Dec 27, 2007, at 6:52 AM, esharris wrote:
>>

>>> Given a Protégé-Frames produced OWL file, how do you find all the
>>> individuals?
>>
>> You load the file into an OWL reasoning program and then ask for all
>> the instances.
>>
>> Trying to look at the generated XML encoded file and finding stuff
>> there will lead to madness. ;)
>>
>> [snip]
>>

> But that is what I am trying to do. I'm trying to build a viewer
> that makes
> it easier to link individuals in the ontology to their
> corresponding data in
> some associated repository. Most reasoners only display the
> individuals in
> the ontology. There is no support for displaying information about
> individual from another domain.

OK.  But then I think the easiest solution would be to build a hybrid
system, where you include the link to the external information as
part of the Protege ontology, using a slot that you then interpret
the contents of and display as you wish.

You may be able to construct a special slot widget within the Protege
framework itself that does this specialized display for you.  Or else
you might want to build your own application.  But you should then
use the Protege API to extract the information from the ontology (the
slot values you care about) in order to render them in your own
specific GUI.