[protege-discussion] Protege-Pellet

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Fri Feb 16 14:31:04 PST 2007

On Feb 15, 2007, at 11:49 PM, Anna Siemek wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a problem with "Protege - Pellet co-operation", maybe
> someone can
> tell me what is the reason for this problem.
> When I try to check the consistency of the ontology in which I have
> owl:hasValue restrictions on the dataTypes properties I get the
> following message:
> "DIG 1.1 (The language used to communicate with the reasoner) does not
> support hasValue restrictions
> on datatypes properties"
>
> What is the reason for that? How can I overcome the problem?

That is just a limitation of the DIG interchange language.
It does not support such restrictions.  I think there are plans
to change that for DIG 2.0, but I don't know how much progress
is being made on a new version.  There isn't much information
on the web about that.

The only way to overcome it is to use a different method
to communicate with Pellet.  I may be wrong, but I think that
the Protege interface only supports the use of DIG to communicate
with external reasoners.

The Swoop editor has a direct connection and should work, or perhaps
you would need to look for a programming solution to the problem.