[protege-discussion] ontologies in Protege about Building Construction - REUSE ontologies

Cristina Belderrain cristina.belderrain at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 18:04:16 PST 2007

Hi Henry,

please see the following article:

   An Ontology Web Language Notation of the Industry Foundation Classes
   http://www.ddss.nl/Eindhoven/publications/473

The article describes a translation of the IFC model into OWL. I'm not
sure whether the translation is public but, if it is, you might be
able to reuse the whole OWL ontology or just those parts which are
directly related to your project.

As you may know, the IFC (Industry Foundation Classes) is a conceptual
building information model developed by the IAI:

   http://www.iai-international.org/Model/IFC(ifcXML)Specs.html

It currently is the most widely accepted standard in the AEC/FM field
(Architecture, Engineering, Construction and Facilities Management).
So if you're thinking about a domain ontology for that field, you
probably should start from the IFC model.

Hope this helps,

Cristina
Sao Paulo, Brazil