[protege-discussion] Fancy multi-user-mode plugins?

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 20 16:25:45 PST 2007

Daniel,

Daniel Holbert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to create a fancy plugin for multi-user-mode that
> exchanges extra data between the client(s) and the server?
>
> A few ideas I've had for tab-widget plugins:
>   - A simple "chat room" interface, for everyone logged on to the multi-user server.

This is something that we might provide soon :)

>   - A tab that displays the contents of the remote .pjrn journal file,
> to monitor modifications that others are making

It is better to use the ChangesTab for tracking the changes. We already
have a version of the ChangesTab that works in client-server mode and it
will probably bundled with the next Protege beta build.
> However, I'm not sure if this sort of plugin is possible, because
> Protege's client-server communications seem to be abstracted away to a
> large extent.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to how this could be implemented using
> the existing plugin framework?  (Maybe there's a "sendPacket()" method
> that I don't know about, or something...)

Well, we have a class named ProtegeJob (which has been recently added in
SVN) which allows the programmer on the client side to run a job on the
server side. Probably you can use a ProtegeJob to transfer data between
client and server, but I have never thought about it.

Tania