[protege-discussion] Eliminate extra messages printed to the console?

Timothy Redmond tredmond at stanford.edu
Thu Feb 22 11:08:17 PST 2007

There are a multitude of sins here but I am not sure who is the culprit.

Some plugin is printing the messages

> ** OwnSlotValueChanged: frame=:THING, slot=:DIRECT-SUBCLASSES,
> source=Cls(:THING, FrameID(0:1000 0))
> , duringDeletion=false

using System.out.println.  As a general rule (with exceptions) the
logger is preferred over System.out.   I don't think the culprit is
in Protege OWL or Protege core.  I originally suspected the change
plugin but I didn't find him there either.  I will look for him but I
have not seen these messages before.

As to the messages,

> WARNING: Excepction caught java.lang.NullPointerException --
> EventDispatchFrameStore.dispatchEvents(
> )
> WARNING: using fine logging for more details --
> EventDispatchFrameStore.dispatchEvents()

these represent some real error in some plugin.  The problem is that
there is not enough information to tell which plugin is having the
problem.  If you add the line

edu.stanford.smi.protege.model.framestore.EventDispatchFrameStore.level=
FINEST

to the logging.properties you will see which plugin is malfunctioning
(in the logs files - not in the console).  I would guess that the
plugin is the changes tab.  We are fixing the changes tab now so
there should be a new version out soon.   In future versions of
protege I am going to try to figure out how to allow the user to
retrieve the exception information without the extra step.  Probably
what I will do is to change the default logging level for the
EventDispatchFrameStore.

I don't think that this logging will give you trouble but be careful
turning on extra logging.  In some cases turning on extra logging can
significantly effect performance.

The only reason the spelling error hasn't been fixed is that we have
to many branches.  I believe that this spelling is fixed in two of
the branches but not apparently in the trunk.

Sorry to be less than informative.  Maybe someone else has seen these
messages before.

-Timothy