[protege-discussion] Problem with the protégé server: SEVERE: Invalid Class:

Henk-Jan Lebbink henkjan at cs.uu.nl
Fri Jan 5 07:39:42 PST 2007

Dear List,

I have a problem with the protégé server, well, I get the rather
intimidating message: "SEVERE: Invalid Class: Instance with type = class
java.lang.String -- ValueTypeConstraint.ensureClses()."

Luckily, this error can be reproduced easily.

1] Start the server (with run_protege_server.bat) and open a server
project (eg the newspaper).
2] Create three classes in thing: class1, class2, class3.
3] Create one slot: slot1 with a value type: instance, allowed classes:
class3, and domain: class1.
4] Create an instance in class3.
5] Create an instance in class1, add the instance from class3 to slot1,
and add class2 to the types of this instance (in class1).

Select class1, class2 or class3 in the instances tab, and the error
message should appear.

(I'm using Protege 3.2.1 Build 365, JVM 1.5.0_07-b03, memory=104M, Windows
XP, encoding=UTF-8, language=nl, country=NL)

Is this error as severe is may seem?

With regards and thanx in advance,
Henk-Jan.