[protege-discussion] Question regarding the current state of Transaction Support within Protege

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 8 13:28:37 PST 2007

Hi Ron,

Protege has transaction support implemented for the database backend,
which is used if the database engine supports transactions. At the level
of the API, there are two methods for dealing with transaction in the
KnowledgeBase interface:

kb.beginTransaction("My transaction name");
kb.endTransaction(true);  //commit transaction

or

kb.endTransaction(false);  //rollback transaction

In the files mode, transactions are implemented using the undo
mechanism: if you rollback a transaction, then all operations from the
beginning of the transaction will be undone.

The transaction code is used a lot in the Protege OWL implementation,
where it is very often the case that the operations are composed of
several atomic operations. For example, editing a restriction is wrapped
in a transaction and it involves several atomic operations. If any of
these operations fail, the restriction is not added to the database.

We have done a lot of work on the transaction support for Protege, but
the code is not yet released. We are planning on merging the transaction
code in the next couple of months. If you want to check it out before,
you can from a branch of our SVN tree:

protege-core:
http://smi-protege.stanford.edu/repos/protege/protege-core/branches/nci_june15
protege-owl: