[protege-discussion] protégé API/development questions

Samson Tu swt at stanford.edu
Sun Jan 14 11:10:35 PST 2007

zhanjun li wrote:
> Hi, All
> I wonder is it possible to use protégé APIs to implement/expand certain
> functionalities. For example,
> I want to automatically read/build the protégé classes from a formatted txt
> file instead of manually typed in protégé;
> I also want to automatically read the slots/relations of each class from a
> formatted txt file.
> Should these be kind of plug-in or widget or none of them? any clues of how
> to start it?
> I have looked over the wiki but I have not found any content which exactly
> fits my needs.

A few import plugins (e.g., data genie, xml tab, umls tab) do something
similar to what you want to do. You can easily write a Java application
that (1) loads/creates a Protege project, (2) reads data from your
formatted text file, and (3) makes Protege API calls to create the
appropriate classes, slots, and instances, (4) save the project. Take a
look at the example file
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/pdk/BackendNewProjectExample.zip, which
does everything except reading data from an external file.

Samson
Samson Tu                    email: swt at stanford.edu