[protege-discussion] Restricting access to classes and instances using the Metaproject Users and Roles

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 15 13:55:42 PST 2007

Ron,

Currently, the Metaproject is used only in the client-server mode for
the login purpose. Even if there are readers and writers defined for a
project in the Metaproject, the read and write access based on these
rights is not supported by Protege.

In stand-alone mode, the Metaproject is not used at all. However, you
can implement a project plugin that will load the Metaproject and set
the frames as editable or not based on the interpretation of the user
rights. If you want more granular access to a project, you can define
your own Metaproject file by extending the existing one, or you can
build a new one from scratch. Your project plugin should be able to
interpret your Metaproject and set the frames as editable or not based
on your own interpretation (and maybe on a access rights propagation
algorithm).

The method for setting a frame as editable is defined in the Frame
interface:

setEditable(boolean editable)

If you want to restrict the frames a user sees based on his rights, you
can use the setVisible method from the Frames interface.

I hope this helps.

Tania