[protege-discussion] Question on Self-Joins to an Entity

Kent Andrews Kent.Andrews at Fiserv.com
Wed Jan 17 15:50:27 PST 2007

Hi,

Hoping some one can share some insight into how they would or have modeled a situation like this:

If you have a self join on an entity which only has extra attributes applicable when the

join is in effect how do you model that?

For example:

Class Foo

-> has attributes a & b

Class Foo Related to Class Foo

-> has attributes a, b, c & d

If I'm not making it clear I apologize. I am trying to understand how a Concept or Class within Protégé can have 2 slots

The problem restated is Class Foo has two slot's (slot a & slot b).

Now Class Foo can be joined to itself and once it is in that state it then has two extra attributes (slots) which it doesn't have if the self join doesn't exist.

Do you create a Sub-Class of Foo and give it a name like Related-Foo and upon the sub-class you stick the two extra attributes.

Then in Foo I have a slot which is an instance of Related-Foo with cardinality 0 or 1 ?

Please help any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kent Andrews