[protege-discussion] Getting plugin code to run at Protege start-up time

Daniel Holbert holbert at helix.stanford.edu
Mon Jan 22 10:44:44 PST 2007

Hi all,

I'm developing a slot widget plugin that requires reading in some data
files, which takes 10-15 seconds.   Right now, I've put the code for
this in my widget's "initialize()" method, but I don't like this very
much because it means the GUI hangs for 10-15 seconds the first time
one of my widgets is displayed.

Is it possible for me to run this code when Protege starts up, instead
of in "initialize()"?  And if so, what's the best way to do this?
(ideally staying within the plugin framework -- I'd rather not have to
edit the Protege sources)

Thanks!
~Daniel