[protege-discussion] Displaying Chinese character in Protege using XML backend

Micheal Hewett mhewett at evincii.com
Tue Jan 23 11:06:42 PST 2007

I am using Protege 3.2.1 with the XML backend.  I created
a KB by doing an import from another program.  I now
have a Class whose name is a single Chinese character
encoded in the XML file as the character entity "黃".
Protege displays it as a square box.  How can I get
Protege to display it as a character?

I have tried various settings on the Project/encodings
menu without any success.

Here is a fragment from the XML file:

<xmp>

   <class>
       <name>黃</name>
       <type>:ZTHES-CLASS</type>
       <own_slot_value>
           <slot_reference>termID</slot_reference>
           <value value_type="string">500783</value>
       </own_slot_value>
       <own_slot_value>
           <slot_reference>termLanguage</slot_reference>
           <value value_type="string">Chinese</value>
       </own_slot_value>
       <own_slot_value>
           <slot_reference>Alternative LanguageOf</slot_reference>
           <value value_type="class">dong quai</value>
       </own_slot_value>
       <own_slot_value>
           <slot_reference>:ROLE</slot_reference>
           <value value_type="string">Concrete</value>
       </own_slot_value>
       <superclass>Terms</superclass>
   </class>

</xmp>