[protege-discussion] Changing Protege to use Mozilla/Firefox instead of Netscape on Linux/Unix?

Daniel Holbert holbert at helix.stanford.edu
Wed Jan 24 17:09:45 PST 2007

Would it be possible to make a one-line change to the Protege source,
to switch the default browser command for unix/linux from "netscape"
to "mozilla"?  My impression is that very few people have Netscape
these days, whereas every modern Unix / Linux systems has either
Mozilla or Firefox preinstalled.

This just requires a small change at line 498 of
edu.stanford.smi.protege.util.BrowserLauncher.java:
from
                 browser = "netscape";
                 browser = "mozilla";

For any users that have Firefox but not the classic Mozilla browser,
I'm pretty sure the command "mozilla" should still work -- it just
launches firefox, using a symbolic link. (it does on my Ubuntu Linux
system, at least)

(I know that it's possible to hard-code my favorite browser into my
protege.properties file -- it just seems like the default should be
the browser that the most users have installed.)

Thanks!
~Daniel