[protege-discussion] Protégé and non-ascii characters

Vibha Tripathi tripathi.vibha at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 05:58:37 PST 2007

Hi Margherita,

I am trying to automate the process of extracting classes and
individuals from an excel file. Do we already have such an opensource
automation tool that I could customize for my purposes? How are you
creating your ontology from excel files?

Thank you for the help!!
Vibha

On 11/20/06, Margherita Sini <margherita.sini at fao.org> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have the same problem as mentioned by some of you in the list. I am generating
> an OWL file from already existing data from excel and word files.
>
> The problem is that non-ascii characters cannot be read with protege also if I
> put them into the text of an annotation and also using the <![CDATA[  ]]>  tag...
>
> In particular these are the one I found that give problem:
>
> - non-ascii double quotes: "sum of polyglutamic forms of folates"
> - non-ascii single quotes: `stigmasterol`
> - special space character: dry gluten
> - dash, question mark, etc...
>
> example:
> <owl:Class rdf:ID="FOLB"><Scope_note><![CDATA[better term could be "sum of
> polyglutamic forms of folates". Single polyglutamic forms should not be
> considered in data tables]]></Scope_note></owl:Class>
>
> <owl:Class rdf:ID="STID7"><Scope_note><![CDATA[Values reported as `stigmasterol`
> in food tables are usually a measure of the delta 7 form
> only]]></Scope_note></owl:Class>
>
> <owl:Class rdf:ID="STID7"><Description><![CDATA[dry
> gluten]]></Description></owl:Class>
>
> Is there a list of them in order not to loose time searching the error or a way
> to overcome the problem?
>
> I am using protege with the native jre...
>
> Thanks
> Margherita

**The way we are living
             timorous or bold