[protege-discussion] Displaying Chinese character in Protege using XML backend

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 25 11:36:31 PST 2007

Hi Mike,

Are you using the UTF-8 character encoding in Protege? You can check
this in the Project->Encodings menu, or on the Protege console when it
starts.

I have just made a test with the xml backend, and added as a class name
a character that I inserted using the "Insert Unicode Characters" from
the Edit menu. If you save the file and reload it, it looks fine.
However, I also saw a square for the character that you have used in
your file. I am not sure, but maybe you need to have Chinese character
support installed on your computer.

We have a FAQ page about character encodings in Protege that may help:
http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/file_encodings.html

Tania