[protege-discussion] (no subject)

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Fri Jan 26 09:50:11 PST 2007

This should be sent to the OWL list...

On Jan 26, 2007, at 1:24 AM, Amalia Esposito wrote:

> Hello!
> I use Protege OWL for the first time and I need to introduce a ternary
> property ("separates", in the sense A separates B and C; where A ,
> B and C
> are individuals of some classes that I have defined) in my
> ontology, is it
> possible?
>
> If it's not possible , this is beacause isn't it  possible in OWL?

Correct.  OWL (and Protege Frames) only support binary properties/slots.

You have to reify any higher arity relations.  That means introducing
a class to represent the separation and assigning additional
properties/slots to it to hold the parts.  Perhaps something like:

Separation
    splitter:  A
    arg1:     B
    arg2:     C