[protege-discussion] Protege plugin for XMI

Pedro tophomer22 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 28 06:22:18 PST 2007

saqib dilshad <saqibdilshad <at> gmail.com> writes:

> hi,
> i want to get UML classes from Owl ontlogy. i found two plugins UMLBACKEND
> and XMIBackend to genreate the UML and XMI file which i can use to create
> model in Poseidon or ArgoUML. The problem is that i am using Protege 3.2 and
> in the documentation it is specified that thses are build for Protege 2.1.2,
> can i use same plugins for Protege 3.2? i have even installed the XMIBackend
> plugin which is also getting configured(i checked in Protege.exe) but i want
> to configure tabwizard from project menue i can not find it and even in"
> HELP" menue under" AboutPlugin" menue in installed plugins it not
> visible.....so wut i can do ?what  i am doing wrong?
>
> regards....
>
> saqib

I have install that plugins but I have used only UMLBackend plugin. With this I
create the archive "name_project".uml.xmi. I can't reopen the project with
protege, but it's posible this archive *.xmi will be useful to Poseidon.

note: (In the menu Projects/configure... there aren't checks for UMLBackend and
XMIBackend plugins. But there are options in menu File/Convert project to Format

The steps are:
- install the plugin in the directory correct "../protege(version)/plugins/". ;)

- create the project OWL that you want.

- UML export from Protege
    * Save your project in your usual format before you begin the export!
    * Choose the "Convert project to..." menu item File in Protege
    * Select UML as output format and click OK. ("../uml 1.4 class diagram").
    * Choose a new project name (TAKE CARE NOT to overwrite the current project.
    * Click OK to save the project into the specified XMI file.
    * Since after storing the XMI file Protege will reload the new project (this
might modify your current knowledge base), you should reopen the original
project if you want to continue at the state you had prior to the export
procedure. (This step doesn't works to me).

Note that the version of UML used (1.4) does not include layout information, so
that the newly created UML classes may not be assigned to any model. In some
CASE tools like Poseidon, apparently the only option to see the new UML classes
after import is to drag the imported classes from the explorer panel into the
target model. Other tools such as TogetherJ provide automated layout services
that might make this much more convenient (however, their XMI support is
apparently under construction).

Try this link for more information:
http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UMLBackendUsersGuide

I hope it'll be usefull.