[protege-discussion] automatically instantiating constrained ontologies

Ilya Shlyakhter ilya_shl at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 28 16:26:57 PST 2007

Dear Protege users,

Is there a Protege plug-in with the following functionality: given a
Protege ontology (classes with PAL constraints, and some constraints
on slot values specified as facets), produce sample instantiations of
the ontology satisfying the constraints.  (This would let me see
whether some constraints are missing, if some unreasonable
instantiations are being generated).  If I have already specified some
instances, the plug-in would create additional instances to fill out
the ontology.  The plug-in would let me step through various possible
instantiations of the ontology, preferably choosing "essentially
different" (non-isomorphic) instantiations.  Also, if the ontology is
overconstrained (no instantiations are allowed at all, or some
instantiation that I meant to allow is wrongly excluded by PAL or
facet constraints), the plug-in would help me zero in on the source of
the overconstraint.  Is there such a plug-in?

Thanks for help,

Ilya