[protege-discussion] Running protege 3.2.1 on Linux using included JRE

B. Bogart bbogart at sfu.ca
Mon Jan 29 11:48:36 PST 2007

Hey all,

I downloaded protege from the Stanford site:

http://protege.stanford.edu/download/release/full/InstData/Linux/VM/install_protege.bin

Which is supposed to include the JRE.

This is what I get when I try and install it:

bbogart at ubuntu:~/tmp$ sh install_protege.bin
Preparing to install...
Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
Unpacking the JRE...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...

Launching installer...

/tmp/install.dir.4948/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: 1: Syntax error: "("
unexpected

I'm using ubuntu edgy on a ppc machine.

I have a few questions:

#1. Does it install in /usr/local or some less friendly place on the
system? /usr?

#2. Why can I find no debian/ubuntu or any other linux packages for
protege?

Thank you.
B. Bogart