[protege-discussion] Running protege 3.2.1 on Linux using includedJRE

Daniel Holbert holbert at helix.stanford.edu
Mon Jan 29 15:10:06 PST 2007

This is a known problem affecting many scripts in Ubuntu edgy.  It's
because Edgy uses "dash" instead of "bash" to provide the "sh"
program.  (bash is much more widely used, but dash is smaller)

More info the issue here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dash/+bug/61463

To fix it, try installing protege using bash instead of sh:
  bash install_protege.bin

 > #1. Does it install in /usr/local or some less friendly place on the
 > system? /usr?

It lets you choose the install location during the install process.  I
installed it into /home/dholbert/programs/Protege3.2.1

 > #2. Why can I find no debian/ubuntu or any other linux packages for
 > protege?

I think it's just that no one's ever made a package for it.  But it's
open source, so feel free to do so if you want. :)  (If any protege
developers want to do this, it'd be awesome)

~Daniel