[protege-discussion] transitive properties

Taylor Cowan taylor_cowan at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 07:17:11 PDT 2007

I'm experimenting with an OWL ontology and hoped to demonstrate the power of a transitive property I labeled "partOf".  Running pellet doesn't insert any new assertions and queries via SPARQL only return neighbors (ie, there's no transitive closure).  I'm using the DIG integration with a Pellet server and Protege 3.3.

My expectation would be that if I assert San Jose is part of California and CA is part of US, then there should be someway of learning that San Jose is part of the US without manually traversing the graph myself.  Given that OWL provides a transitive property support, how can I demonstrate that using Protege OWL?

Taylor