[protege-discussion] preloading of Instances in Protege 3.3 (411) ?

Tania Tudorache tudorache at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 3 10:23:10 PDT 2007

Hi Jens,

Did you take a look at the wiki page describing the server and client
configuration? It also describes the preloading option:

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MultiUserTutorial#nid9CE

You are not supposed to see anything different in the UI if preloading
is activated. Preloading means that the client will pre-cache at the
initialization time a subtree of classes that are most likely to be used
by the client. This trades off client initialization time to performance
after start-up. For example, the NCI Thesaurus is a pretty large OWL
ontology. If there are some users that are most likely to edit the Gene
class tree (which is huge), then you can preload the Gene subtree on the
client side, so that when the user clicks in the Gene class tree,
everything will be fetched from the client cache rather than from the
server. This makes sense for large ontologies and for cases when the
network latency is big.

Cheers,
Tania