[protege-discussion] trouble loading an OWL file containing instances of an imported ontology

Steve Wilder swilder at atl.lmco.com
Tue Jul 10 11:33:27 PDT 2007

All,

I am having trouble loading an ontology containing individuals into
Protege.  For some reason I am getting this exception:

SEVERE: Exception caught -- java.lang.ClassCastException:
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.model.impl.DefaultRDFProperty cannot be
cast to edu.stanford.smi.protege.model.Cls

When trying to load an owl file that creates individuals that are
instances of classes defined in an imported ontology.

Here is the small ontology I'm trying to work with:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rdf:RDF
    xmlns:myProject="http://www.owl-ontologies.com/myProject.owl#"
    xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#"
    xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#"
    xmlns="http://www.owl-ontologies.com/TestAgentCommands.owl#"
  xml:base="http://www.owl-ontologies.com/TestAgentCommands.owl">
  <owl:Ontology rdf:about="">
    <owl:imports
rdf:resource="http://www.owl-ontologies.com/myProject.owl"/>
  </owl:Ontology>
  <owl:DatatypeProperty rdf:ID="hasMessageID">
    <rdfs:domain
rdf:resource="http://www.owl-ontologies.com/myProject.owl#myProjectConcepts"/>
    <rdfs:range rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#int"/>
    <rdfs:comment rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string"
    >a requirement of the TII is that every message has a unique
MessageID</rdfs:comment>
  </owl:DatatypeProperty>
  <myProject:TacticalNode rdf:ID="TacticalNode_8">
    <myProject:takeAction>
      <myProject:ActionList rdf:ID="ActionList_1">
        <myProject:hasRest>
          <myProject:ActionList rdf:ID="ActionList_3">
            <myProject:hasRest>
              <myProject:ActionList rdf:ID="ActionList_5">
                <myProject:hasFirst>
                  <myProject:Send_To_External_Agent
rdf:ID="Send_To_External_Agent_6"/>
                </myProject:hasFirst>
              </myProject:ActionList>
            </myProject:hasRest>
            <myProject:hasFirst>
              <myProject:Query_TSR rdf:ID="Query_TSR_4"/>
            </myProject:hasFirst>
          </myProject:ActionList>
        </myProject:hasRest>
        <myProject:hasFirst>
          <myProject:Send_To_Tactical_Node
rdf:ID="Send_To_Tactical_Node_2"/>
        </myProject:hasFirst>
      </myProject:ActionList>
    </myProject:takeAction>
  </myProject:TacticalNode>
</rdf:RDF>

<!-- Created with Protege (with OWL Plugin 2.2, Build 339)
http://protege.stanford.edu -->