[protege-discussion] RE : problems classifying OWL-DL ontology containing import command

Ammar MECHOUCHE mechov at yahoo.fr
Wed Jul 25 06:50:39 PDT 2007

Hi Alexandre,
 I am not sure, but try to increase the  Xmx value, try for example the following value -Xmx1024M.

 Bye.
 Ammar.

 Alexandre Vidal <vidal at ime.usp.br> a écrit : Hi. Could someone help me?

I'm testing the classification task on two OWL-DL ontologies:
(1) http://www.deinf.ufma.br/~vidal/GBOS/PlatformOntology.owl
(2) http://www.deinf.ufma.br/~vidal/GBOS/GridBaseOntology.owl

I submitted both ontologies to validator, and they are Ok.

The ontology (1) does not import any ontology, while the ontology (2) does.

I'm using Eclipse and Protégé-OWL API with this simple code:

try {
 JenaOWLModel gridOwlModel =
ProtegeOWL.createJenaOWLModelFromURI(ONTOLOGY_URL);

       ReasonerManager reasonerManager = ReasonerManager.getInstance();

       ProtegeOWLReasoner reasoner = reasonerManager.getReasoner(gridOwlModel);

 // Set the reasoner URL and test the connection.
 reasoner.setURL(REASONER_URL);

 if (reasoner.isConnected()) {
     DIGReasonerIdentity reasonerIdentity = reasoner.getIdentity();
     System.out.println("Connected to " + reasonerIdentity.getName() + " " +
         reasonerIdentity.getVersion());

     // We can classify the whole ontology, which will put the
     // inferred class hierarchy information directly into the
Protégé-OWL model.
     System.out.println("Classifying taxonomy...");
     reasoner.classifyTaxonomy(null);
     System.out.println("...Classified taxonomy!");
 else {
                System.out.println("Reasoner not connected!");
         }
} catch (Exception e) {
 // TODO Auto-generated catch block
 e.printStackTrace();
}

I have no problem to classify the former ontology;
However, when I try to classify the later, I get the error messages
below, though I've been succeed before classifying this same ontology.
What could cause such errors?
vidal at vidal-laptop:/home/pos/aplicativos/pellet-1.4-RC1$  sh pellet-dig.sh

PelletDIGServer Version 1.4-RC1 (November 7 2006)
Port: 8081
 WARN [HttpConnection] - POST / HTTP/1.1
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space     // error on Pellet execution
Eclipse error Message:
JVM terminated. Exit code=1
/usr/bin/java
-Xms40m