[protege-discussion] Problems to Develop a Protege Plug in with Eclipse

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Fri Jul 27 09:20:25 PDT 2007

On Jul 27, 2007, at 1:16 AM, Isaac Lera wrote:

> Thomas Russ escribió:
>> On Jul 26, 2007, at 9:47 AM, Isaac Lera wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I try to develop a protege plug in (tab widget) with eclipse tool
>>> but I don't see my tab plug in on protege (project->configure)
>>> window tab widgets.
>>> I follow the web tutorial: http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/pdk/
>>> plugins/tab_widget.html and
>>> I configure my eclipse with: an output folder as external link to
>>> protege plug in directory and VM directive
>>> -Dprotege.dir=/home/xx/Protege_3.3_beta/
>>> The manifest file is copied too....
>>>
>>> I don't know like solving it. Do anyone have an small eclipse
>>> project with correct configuration or a little tutorial...?
>>
>> Perhaps you could show us what the Manifest file and
>> plugin.properties files look like?
>> One of the important points is that blank lines in the manifest file
>> are important, especially having a blank line as the final line in
>> the file.
>>
>> The other thing is to look at the console output when Protege
>> launches and see if there are any messages that give you a hint.

>> faq.html#01a.03
>>
> I have added  the "blank extra line" in the manifest file but the
> plugin still don't run it.
> I don't have the plugin.properties files. In the tutorial not is
> mentioned. Is it necessary?

Yes, I think the plugin.properties file is now required, although the
documentation about them is not completely clear.  (Look at <http://
protege.stanford.edu/doc/pdk/plugins/plugin_support_21.html>)
Try adding one like the following and place it in the plugin
directory with the other code:

plugin.properties
==========  File contents follow this line ======
plugin.component.count=1
plugin.component.name.0=Align Tab

> and more information:
>
> * My manifest file in protege dir is:
> Protege_3.3_beta/plugins/
>  +   tabwidget/ (my tab)
>         AlignTab.class
>         AlignTab$1.class
>  +  meta-inf/
>        manifest.mf
>        manifest.tabwidget
>

> * Manifest file (have a blank line):>
> Manifest-Version: 1.0
>
> Name: tabwidget/AlignTab.class
> Tab-Widget: True

> * This is the console output of Protege :>
> CONFIG: Protege 3.3 Build 414, JVM 1.6.0-b105, memory=66M, Linux,
> encoding=UTF-8, language=es, country=ES
> CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.standard_extensions
> - Graph Widget, Table Widget
> CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.datamaster -
> DataMaster Tab
> CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protege.script - Script Plugin
> CONFIG: Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.owlunittest
> CONFIG: Loaded plugin tabwidget
> CONFIG: Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.manchesterowlsyntaxeditor
> CONFIG: Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.owlindividualstab

Well, it looks like it is being loaded.  I presume you don't see it
in the Configure dialog?