[protege-discussion] Jena parse error message.

Thomas Russ tar at ISI.EDU
Tue Mar 6 09:40:49 PST 2007

On Mar 5, 2007, at 5:46 PM, Paula Gabriela wrote:

> I need some help:
>
> When I open my owl ontology, this message appears:
>
> There were errors at performing operation.
> 1. An error occurred at parsing the OWL ontology
>
>     file:/C:/Arquivos%20de%20programas/Protege_3.2.1/projeto%2001.owl
>
>     at line 5167 and column 27.
>     Jena parse error message: XML document structures must start
> and end within the same entity.
>     Exception class org.xml.sax.SAXParseException.  Message: XML
> document structures must start and end within the same entity.
>
> See console and log for more details.

> My project opens, but in a mess way ! What should I do?

The error message indicates that the OWL file is not a valid XML
document.
 From the message text, it appears that there is either a missing
start or
end tag, or some other problem that makes it appear that way.

The parser is complaining about finding a structure something like this:

  <a>
    <b>
    </a>

Where the A entity ends inside the enclosed B entity.

You will need to fix the OWL file so that it is a legal XML document.

Was the OWL file saved from Protégé?